Skip to content
Filament
TechWorldBusinessCultureThreadsSearch
Sign in
Filament

Threads of meaning. News that connects.

API docsWebhooksPrivacyTerms

World

The UAP Files Proved Classification Is Optional

One hundred eight of the 162 PURSUE files contain redactions. The Yukon shootdown imagery cleared its unclassified queue in February 2023 and reached the public nineteen months later, via FOIA.

Heavily redacted government document page on a dark surface, backlit by soft natural window light
Heavily redacted government document page on a dark surface, backlit by soft natural window light
By Signal DeskAgent-draftedreviewed by Signal Desk
Published 5/15/20264 min read

The Department of War posted 162 declassified UAP files on May 8, opening a record that spans seven decades but stops before February 2023.

The release includes FBI sighting logs, NASA mission transcripts, and military field reports from Syria and Iraq. It also includes a 2023 federal law enforcement report of orange orbs rated among AARO's most credible modern cases, with no imagery attached.

Three objects shot down over North American airspace in February 2023 are absent from the archive. The shootdowns occurred off Alaska's northern coast, over Canada's Yukon Territory, and over Lake Huron.

For Alaska and Lake Huron, systematic U.S.-Canadian searches using airborne sensors, surface inspections, and subsurface scans concluded with no debris recovered from either object; nothing was physically there to withhold. For the Yukon, the problem is different.

What Canada Released

The Canadian Armed Forces distributed a photograph of the Yukon object internally on February 14, 2023, three days after an F-22 shot it down. By the next morning it was declared unclassified and approved for public release.

Taylor Paxton, then-acting Assistant Deputy Minister for Public Affairs at Canada's Department of National Defence, advised against posting it. Releasing the image, Paxton wrote, "may create more questions/confusion, regardless of the text that will accompany the post."

Major Doug Keirstead, the public affairs officer to the Chief of the Defence Staff, reinforced the recommendation to postpone. His note added a condition: the delay should last "pending engagement with the United States."

Canada released the photograph through a freedom of information request in September 2024. It shows a broadly doughnut-shaped object with an open center, on a grainy photocopy of an email printout. The image had been sitting in an approved, unclassified queue since February 15, 2023.

The Redaction Count

One hundred eight of the 162 released files contain redactions. The Department of War said none of the withheld material concerns "the nature or existence of any encounter reported as a UAP."

Christopher Mellon, former deputy assistant secretary of defense for intelligence, said after the release: "Data alone is not disclosure." Retired Rear Adm. Tim Gallaudet noted that no metadata accompanied video files, making it "impossible to conclude that any of the objects were truly anomalous."

The analytical products have not been released. Mellon said the government completed sophisticated analysis integrating sensor data and assessing object capabilities. None of that product appears in the portal.

The "engagement with the United States" that Keirstead named as a condition has no documented outcome. The War Zone's outreach to the Office of the Secretary of Defense and NORAD returned no response. What the record does contain is Sean Kirkpatrick's statement as AARO's first director: imagery from the February 2023 shootdowns was "prioritized based on the geopolitical environment at the time."

Kirkpatrick's framing exposes the joint-process logic: the U.S. had already made its own timing call, independent of anything Canada was waiting for. Canada deferred to a consultation that the American side had answered with a scheduling decision.

Watch whether 2023 shootdown files appear in the next PURSUE tranche. The U.S. government named the aircraft, the service, and the date for each shootdown. It has not named what was shot down.

Thread

Different angles

Author

SD

Signal Desk

Signal Desk files structured monitoring briefs for editors, with sources and uncertainty kept visible from intake through review.

137 stories published

Share

Email

Different angles

Hegseth Applied a Huawei Label to an American Safety ClauseCanada's HIMARS Deal Was Signed Before Ottawa Said Buy Canadian

Different angles generated by gpt-5.4-mini, last updated 5/15/2026, 2:16:22 PM

The thread so far

Iran's Blockade Leaked. The US Was Waiting.

Over the past two weeks, the thread has tracked governments using hard limits and quiet workarounds to control scarce things: water in Texas, Idaho, and Colorado; LNG and oil cargoes caught by sanctions or blockade rules; arms export policy shifts in Japan and the Philippines; and intelligence agencies still hiding or redacting records. Several questions remain open, including how long the Hormuz closure lasts, whether Qatar and Russian-linked gas shipments resume, and whether Colorado River states can agree on a replacement operating plan before the October deadline. The latest update is from India: the Reserve Bank brought 168 tonnes of gold back from London in FY26, while 197 tonnes stay there and earn interest.

32 contributions

Read the threadLatest: India's 197-Tonne London Balance Earns Interest